Welcome to Southern Middle School
Southern Films won 1st place for both PSA and Cinemania at the state STLP Championship!
*Recognition Programs are coming up!
..6th grade 9:30 on May 28th
..7th grade 1:30 on May 28th
..8th grade 6:00 pm at TCHS in the gym on May 27th
* K-PREP testing begins May 13th and goes through May 20th. Students should be present every day if at all possible. Please make appointments for late afternoon. Encourage your students to do their very best during on the test!
*8th Grade Pool party has been cancelled.
*Parent Program! : “CyberParents!!” Morton Middle School– Library, Tyson S. Carroll - Detective for Lexington Division of Police Bureau of Investigation Internet Crimes against Children would like the opportunity to discuss good practices for protecting children in regards to social media, trends seen in crimes involving children and cyberbullying and its effects. Speaker will BEGIN AT 6:30PM Thursday May 21st.
*THE SBDM ELECTION HAS EXTENDED THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS AND VOTING.
Applications and bios are due by: May 1, 2015 @ 3:55.
PTSA Meeting for the nominees to speak: Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 8:15 Elections: May 7, 2015 at SMS 8:30-9:30 and 6:00-7:00 by the gym. See application and information: SBDM Form Part 1, SBDM Form Part 2
* Need a safe place for your middle school aged student to be during the summer? Consider enrolling in Camp R.E.A.L. run by the Parks and Recreation Department and FCPS at Southern Middle. More information found here about dates and times. Field Trip information can be found here.
* Yearbooks! Pre-order your 2015 SMS yearbook for $30. Students are in the front hall before school taking orders.
* Spirit Days: Whenever there is a HOME athletic event, we have a Spirit Day at school. Students may wear SMS-issued T-shirts, sweatshirts, or hoodies. The athletes playing in the HOME game that night are allowed to wear their team’s jersey (if sleeveless, a t-shirt must be worn underneath). All other dress code rules apply.
Spirit Wear Info: HI5Prints has all our Spirit Wear Needs! Order online: http://hi5prints.com , 859-797-8154, Ellie@hi5prints.com
* Scratch Programming club for students meets in the computer lab on Thurdays before school. See Mrs. L'Esperance for a morning pass. firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Southern Films - Commercials: Southern Films can make commercials! If you own a local business and would like a television commercial produced for it, consider hiring Southern Films. For more information contact Mr. Keaton at email@example.com
*Intramurals began September 8th, Mondays 7:40 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. basketball, Wednesdays 7:40 – 8:30 soccer See Mr. King for information. Intramural Permission Slip
*YMCA Black Achievers: Any student 7th grade through 12th invited. Contact Roxanne Brown 859-367-7377 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
* Free online Homework Help is offered by the Lexington Public Library for most subject areas. All you need is a Library card and your pin number to connect with a professional tutor.
* Dress code information for Fall 2014. The dress code has not changed from the 2013 -2014 school year.
Homework Hotline: 381-3599
May 13th - May 20th: K-PREP Testing window. Please encourage students to do their very best.
May 19th: Election Day, no school for students.
May 27: 8th Grade Promotion @ Tates Creek HS 6:00 in gym
May 28th: Recognition Programs for 6th and 7th grades. 6th grade 9:30, 7th grade 1:30
May 29th: Last day for Students
Dell TechKNow class meets Mondays, Tuesdays
and Thursdays after school this week.
Scratch Programming Club meets every Thursday morning at 8:15 in the computer lab. All interested students are invited to participate.
Intramurals meet Mondays and Wednesdays before school. Students need to have a signed permission slip.
Environmental Club meets after school on Mondays in Mrs. Cook's room til 5 PM.