Welcome to Southern Middle School
*Congratulations to our SMS Academic Team for their many ribbons and trophy for sportsmanship in the district competition!
*This is a time to set goals and make changes in the things we do and say. Here are some New Year’s Resolutions for our SMS family:
Work hard every day in every class.
Treat all others with respect.
Forget the problems you may have had in the past and focus on the successes that can be a part of your future.
Setting and following through on these 3 goals can be the first steps for all of us having a happy new year at SMS!
*SMS PTSA Winter Semi-Formal Dance: from 6-8 pm 2/6/15:
-Tickets: Each student must have a ticket to enter the dance. Tickets are a student membership to the PTSA ($5). If your child has already joined PTSA, they still must pick up a ticket. Tickets will be sold at lunch on Friday, January 30 and Feb. 6th. The PTSA does not wish the cost of the dance to be prohibited to students to attend the dance. If you would like confidential assistance with the dance fee, please contact SMS PTSA at firstname.lastname@example.org .
-Dress code : Students are being asked to dress up for the semi-formal. ("Prom-Like" attire is not required, but "Sunday-Best" would work. However, Students can dress as fancy as they would like.) -
-The Experience: This dance is not like any other we've had at SMS! We are turning the Gym into a winter wonderland... there will be food (cost/details to follow closer to the dance), a Selfie and Friends photo booth (Bring a camera!) and other surprises!
* Step up to the Winter Reading Challenge. Bring completed form back to Mrs. Smith in the Library to earn free time in the gym or the comuter lab.
* Thank You SMS band students for the benefit concert this week. The Humane Society appreciates your donations!
*Yearbooks! Pre-order your 2015 SMS yearbook for $30. Students are in the front hall before school taking orders.
* Spirit Days: Whenever there is a HOME athletic event, we have a Spirit Day at school. Students may wear SMS-issued T-shirts, sweatshirts, or hoodies. The athletes playing in the HOME game that night are allowed to wear their team’s jersey (if sleeveless, a t-shirt must be worn underneath). All other dress code rules apply.
* Scratch Programming club for students meets in the computer lab on Thurdays before school. See Mrs. L'Esperance for a morning pass. email@example.com.
*Southern Films - Commercials: Southern Films can make commercials! If you own a local business and would like a television commercial produced for it, consider hiring Southern Films. For more information contact Mr. Keaton at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Intramurals began September 8th, Mondays 7:40 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. basketball, Wednesdays 7:40 – 8:30 soccer See Mr. King for information. Intramural Permission Slip
*YMCA Black Achievers: Any student 7th grade through 12th invited. Contact Roxanne Brown 859-367-7377 or email@example.com for more info.
* Free online Homework Help is offered by the Lexington Public Library for most subject areas. All you need is a Library card and your pin number to connect with a professional tutor.
* Dress code information for Fall 2014. The dress code has not changed from the 2013 -2014 school year.
Homework Hotline: 381-3599
Jan. 27th: Tuesday: PTSA T-shirt/Hoodie Day! $ 1.00
Jan. 28th: Boys Basketball vs. Beaumont at SMS 5 PM
(Study hall for students from 4 - 5 PM) Spirit Day!
1/28/2015: The SMS PTSA Spirit Committee will meet on Wednesday, Jan. 28 from 4:00-5:30 in the library. (*Note the time change.) Bring your hot glue gun and t-shirt designs for the Spirit Committee
1/28; 1/30; 2/4; 2/6; 2/11; 2/13/15: Extended School Services – for students who need credit recovery through PLATO. These after school sessions will be in the computer lab until 5:30 on each of these dates. Please be sure that you pick up your students at that time.
2/5/2015: Showcase Planning Meeting in the library @ 5:00.
2/5/2015: PTSA meeting in the library @ 6:00.
2/6/15: SMS PTSA Winter Semi-Formal Dance: from 6-8 pm
Tickets: Each student must have a ticket to enter the dance. Tickets are a student membership to the PTSA ($5). If your child has already joined PTSA, they still must pick up a ticket. Tickets will be sold at lunch on Friday, January 30 and Feb. 6.
Scratch Programming Club meets every Thursday morning at 8:15 in the computer lab. All interested students are invited to participate.
Intramurals meet Mondays and Wednesdays before school. Students need to have a signed permission slip.
Environmental Club meets after school on Mondays in Mrs. Cook's room til 5 PM.