Welcome to Southern Middle School
Welcome Back Students!
Open House Tuesday
Our annual open house is TONIGHT from 5:30 - 7:00 August 25th. It's a great time to tour the school, shop the Book Fair, and meet your child's teachers. The Cheezy Mac Mobile food truck will be here too. A part of the proceeds from the purchases made from the food truck will be given back to the school (Menu). We look forward to seeing all of you here that night.
1. Our school, along with 35 other Fayette County Public Schools, will be a CEP (Community Eligibility Provision) site for the 2015-16 school year. This means all students enrolled at these schools will be able to receive a healthy breakfast and lunch for FREE on days that school is in session.
2. This year the district has replaced the MAP testing system with a new system called FAST. The FAST testing window opens in September. Students will start testing with the new system soon after the window opens. FAST will be given three times a year: in the fall, winter, and spring. It is computer-based and does not take as long as the MAP test. It also provides more information for teachers to use to help meet the needs of each student.
3. We want to make all parents aware that by KY state law, our school counselors are required to deliver a presentation containing suicide prevention information to all our students in the next few weeks.
* Book Fair opens Monday August 24th and runs through August 28th. Want to volunteer to help Mrs. Smith in the Library? Sign up here. Help us meet our goal of $3,500!
*Spirit Wear! Our Spirit Wear vendor is Hi5Prints - the store is always open online and $3 of every shirt comes back to SMS! The website is http://app.hi5prints.com/sms Click the link for more information about ordering and shipping from Hi5Prints.
* Attention Parents:
The Dress Code Policy for the 2015-2016 has been updated. Several changes have been made so more focus can be on instruction and student achievement.
*Our Yankee Candle school-wide fundraiser kicks-off Aug. 24th! This is an important fundraiser because the funds raised helps us purchase materials and resources that supports all of our students.
* Playing sports in 2015-2016?
Any student planning to try out for a sports team will need to have a current Athletic Sports Physical. The form has been updated since last year. Open the link "General Adminstrative Forms" then open
"MS01...Middle School Physical Form"
*Southern Films - Commercials: Southern Films can make commercials! If you own a local business and would like a television commercial produced for it, consider hiring Southern Films. For more information contact Mr. Keaton at email@example.com
* Free online Homework Help is offered by the Lexington Public Library for most subject areas. All you need is a Library card and your pin number to connect with a professional tutor.
Homework Hotline: 381-3599
August 24: Volleyball @ BSMS
August 24: Yankee Candle Fundraiser Kickoff
August 25: Open House 5:30 to 7:00
August 27: Football vs. Jessie Clark
August 31: Volleyball @ Leestown